Monday 24 October 2011

Five Year Plan for the ASE

I am a member of the ASE (association of science education). I joined because the advice and collaboration that existed during the time of the national strategies has dried up, but the need to change and re-interpret how we teach hasn't. I am never too proud to seek advice and guidance to ensure that I am giving my students the best possible science education I can.



The ASE has been around for nearly 50 years and the present moment in history is not its strongest. The ASE seems to have lost touch with its membership as the numbers slowly slip downwards. The current financial situation doesn't help.



It is vital at this time that the ASE is restructuring and thinking about the future, not just because its own survival depends on it, but also because science education needs a body to stand up for it and keep science education relevant for both the students and industry.




The chief executive of the ASE Annette Smith writes a blog to keep members up to date with news affecting science education and the ASE in general, http://www.ase.org.uk/news/ceo-blog/. In her most recent blog post she asks:


  • What is the purpose of ASE?



  • What should ASE’s mission statement be?






I hope that these two questions can spark debate, helping the association understand the needs of science teachers and then in turn positioning the association so it can support them. However, with the diverse education systems and schools within the UK and the falling membership reducing the capacity of the ASE I still see tough times ahead.







- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad


No comments:

Post a Comment